AUSTIN, Texas – The University of Texas System Board of Regents Chairman Kevin Eltife today announced the appointment of search advisory committee members who will advise the regents on selecting the next president of The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB).
Committee members were appointed in accordance with Board of Regents’ Rules and Regulations, which include a provision for representation by various constituencies internal and external to the institution. They include faculty, administration, alumni, students and community members.
UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs John Zerwas, M.D., will chair the committee.
“UTMB is not only a leading health institution in Texas, it has global influence and impact, and we’re confident it will attract top presidential candidates from around the country,” said Chairman Eltife. “I am grateful to Chancellor Milliken and the search advisory committee for taking on the important assignment of advising us on new leadership for UTMB.”
“UTMB’s longstanding reputation as a leading academic medical center, and its strength in education, research and health care, has always been a great source of pride for Texas. Its contributions to ending the pandemic put it on a world stage daily,” said Chancellor Milliken.
The UT System will soon announce a website to provide information regarding the search, including a regularly updated proposed timeline of search activities, and provide an opportunity for members of the public to privately submit candidate nominations.
Representation on the Presidential Search Advisory Committee includes:
- John Zerwas, M.D. – UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs
- Vice Chairman Janiece Longoria
- Regent Jodie Lee Jiles
- Regent Christina Melton Crain
UT Institution Presidents
- Peter W.T. Pisters, M.D., MHCM – UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center President
- William L. Henrich, M.D., MACP – UT Health Science Center – San Antonio
UTMB Faculty and Staff
- José D. Rojas, Ph.D., RTT-RPFT – Associate Professor and Chair of Respiratory Care, School of Health Professions
- Shannan L. Rossi, Ph.D. – Associate Professor, Departments of Microbiology and Immunology and Pathology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Matthew Dacso, MSc, M.D. – Associate Professor, Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine; Chair ad interim, Department of Emerging Disease and Global Health, School of Medicine
- Majka B. Woods, Ph.D. – Vice Dean for Academic Affairs, School of Medicine
- Ms. Tilly Clark – Assistant Director, Special Use Facilities, Office of the President
- Ms. Madeline Rock – Student, School of Medicine
- Thomas J. Purgason, M.D., FACP, P.A. – Immediate Past President, School of Medicine Alumni Association
- Mr. John Kelso – President, Sealy & Smith Foundation; President, J.W. Kelso Company, Inc.
- Mr. Ross Moody – Chairman, National Western Life Group, Inc.
Charles Mouton, M.D., provost and dean of the John Sealy School of Medicine will serve as interim president of UTMB until a new president is selected.
“I look forward to serving on the search committee to find a new president to lead UTMB into the future,” said Sealy & Smith Foundation President John Kelso.