Question: This year has really thrown a wrench in my routine and I’m having trouble sticking with my fitness routine. What are the best tips to keep some balance in my new lifestyle?
Answer: First, you are not alone! I think all of us are discovering a new “normal” and although our fitness routines may have been altered or disrupted, there’s no need to put your health & fitness goals on pause! There are a lot of small things you can do to overcome the setbacks. Here are my top 5:
- Make time for fitness. Working out gives you more energy and improves your alertness throughout the day. Not only is fitness essential for your body, it also impacts your mind and can help you be more productive. Even 10 minutes is better than nothing!
- Take brain breaks throughout the day. Take some time to take a deep breath and relax. A quick walk, stretching, or reading are a few great options. Be mindful of your screen time and set timer reminders to move. By taking a few minutes away you can refresh your mind and body at the same time.
- Water, water, and more water! Ideally, you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. Write a sticky note to remind you, fill your bottle at the beginning of your day, try adding fresh fruit, mint, or cucumbers for a burst of flavor…whatever helps you guzzle it down!
- Set and stay on track with your goals. We know life can be hectic, but prioritizing your goals is the best act of self-care there is. Make a plan so you can stay on track no matter what life throws at you. Take a moment and think about a short and long-term goal you can start working toward today. Remember, you can’t hit a target you can’t see!
- Control what you can control. Despite best efforts, some things are out of our control. Try to focus on the things that you can do right now. For example, just because you might not be able to make it to the gym this week doesn’t mean you can’t work out. Start your day with an at-home workout or take a walk after dinner. This will help provide a sense of accomplishment. Add it to your checklist and celebrate crossing it off!
Jayme Smid is the club manager at Anytime Fitness in Brandon. To submit a question for future articles, please contact the author at [email protected]